Letterkenny derived its name from Leitir Ceanann which means, The Fair Headed Hillside.
The town was first established around the year 1620 by Sir John Mulberry, and at this time, the town consisted of fifty thatched cottages and one water-mill. Today, Letterkenny is one of the fastest growing towns in Ireland and is certainly the main town in County Donegal. The Baptist witness can be traced back to the early nineteenth century. However, the modern period of Baptist witness in Letterkenny can be traced back to 1975 to the Irish Baptist Home Mission's work. We are a member of the Association of Baptists Churches in Ireland (LINK)].